-->

Monday, July 15, 2013

Mega Bloks Power Rangers

It's  Monday, so a light day for Figured Out. Today I'm combing two different series of Power Rangers Mega Bloks: Megaforce (Series 1) and Samurai (Series 1). These are pretty much the same thing as the LEGO MiniFigure mystery packs, but obviously they are themed to Power Rangers Samurai or Megaforce.


I'll start with Samurai. I haven't seen this season yet, so I'm not familiar with these characters. The insert has a checklist of the figures in this series, just like the LEGO packs. A big difference between the two is that the Mega Bloks series is half the size of the LEGO series. Also, Mega Bloks indicates the rarity of each figure. As you can see, there is common, rare, and ultra rare.
And on the opposite side, there is a diagram of how to put each figure together. It's all pretty basic, and easy to understand.


And onto the good stuff...


Legs, belt, torso, head, helmet, weapon, and display block. Put them all together and you get:


As with anything, I love the detail of these things. From the small Samurai symbol on the chest, to the symbol engraved into the sides of the weapon. And it would be so easy and pretty acceptable if they decided to keep the entire weapon blue, but they still chose to put some silver on its features. I really appreciate that. A simple paint job makes it so much better looking.

So you see, pretty much the same thing that LEGO as going on. But honestly, since I like Power Rangers so much, I might like Mega Bloks better.


The Megaforce series offers the same thing. Eight different characters, different rarities, a diagram of how to assemble each figure. But this series offers a secret mystery figure! However, if you look on the back of the insert, just a quick analysis of the accessories clearly show that the mystery figure is Robo Knight. Not a big deal, if you ask me.



Same as Samurai, legs, torso, head, helmet, weapon, display block. Megaforce doesn't include a belt, which I'm okay with. It didn't offer anything extra special to me. The weapons in Series 1 of Megaforce are kind of lame. All but one are small guns (except the small blade for the Loogies). But the most significant difference is the size and design of the Megafoce figures.


The Megaforce figures are a whole head taller than the Samurai figures. Samurai figures are built like LEGO minifigs, and Megaforce figures are more similar to the build of the WoW micro figures. Not a wow-inducing change, but still pretty significant.

Honestly, these micro figures aren't the best. LEGO definitely does a better job. I feel like LEGO is more polished and they know what they're doing. Mega Bloks seems to be the headlining act of amateur hour. But, that's not a really bad thing. Maybe micro figure blind packs are new to Mega Bloks. And I'll totally allow for the lack of polish. And like I said, I pretty much love anything Power Rangers, and I'll continue collecting these suckers as much as my wallet allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment