-->

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mega Bloks World of Warcraft: Sindragosa & the Lich King

I have no idea how to introduce this thing. Obviously, I've been on a Mega Bloks kick so far. And this all started just before I created Figured Out. So, if I haven't been into LEGO since I was a kid and just now started getting back into it and Mega Bloks, I think it's safe to say that this is the first building blocks set that I've ever purchased myself. And, honestly, I think it's a pretty good first set. For, like, the last 10 years, when someone thinks of World of Warcraft, the Lich King comes to mind immediately. He's been a main antagonist in the Warcraft series since Warcraft III, and even though Wrath of the Lich King was the second expansion to WoW, the Lich King has always been in the background of the game. All that to say, I'm a nerd who likes Mega Bloks and WoW. So it makes complete sense that the first set I purchase is the one with the Lich King figure.




I buy relatively small toys for the most part. A single action figure is typically the biggest thing I buy, with the exception of the action figure packs that I get once in a great while. So when this arrived in the mail, I thought this was a big ass box. Which is nice, though, because it shows the detail of the scene that you'll be building. The front is the more artistic version of the set, and the back features the actual product.


I'm not sure why they decided to feature spikes on Sindragosa or the ice stump you can set Frostmourne in, but whatever, their choice. And shows the features of Sindragosa and the Lich King. And honestly, the Lich King figure is the only reason I wanted this set. I wish I could have purchased the figure alone. But whatever.

First up, the Frozen Throne itself:



It's just a little section that the Throne fits on, so it's the dragon that makes this set so big. I like the paint job on the blocks. The different shades of blue and the icy white makes it all look more like ice than I expected out of the set. But all the blue blends together, so when looking at it, you can barely make out any features of the Throne. Even with your own eyes, it all melts together. You can't easily make out the seat or the arms of the Throne. But overall, I really dig it. The curved spikes add a nice touch to the set and make it complete. 



Sindragosa! Really, for me, there isn't much to say about her. She was entertaining to put together, and it wasn't too difficult to do. Mostly it was putting icy blocks on the torso area and adding spikes to limbs. It looks pretty sweet when it's all together, though.



The Lich King! I love love love this figure! All the detail! All the skulls! Obviously, the figure is super focused on detail. So it's a little weird to me that the tiny part of visible face is painted gray along with the helmet. But that's a seriously minor detail.
The cape is removable, and behind it is a little hole that hold the standard gripping peg that Mega Bloks figures tend to have. But the Lich King is incomplete without the cape, so it'll always stay on for me.
And Frostmourne! One of the most famous swords in Warcraft Lore! I love the individually painted runes on it. That's the kind of detail that gets me really into something.

And finally, each WoW set comes with a secret loot bag? Each as one random weapon that can come from any other set made.


I got a red sword with this one. I don't have this from any other figure I've purchased so far, so that's a nice little bonus to have. 



The complete set. Pretty impressive and a whole lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment