-->

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mega Bloks World of Warcraft Faction Packs - Valoren

I fully realize that I'm dipping deep into how much of a nerd I am by showing my interest in World of Warcraft so early on. But like everything else, I can't help it. This is just too neat!

World of Warcraft has an awesome Mega Bloks line. Or is it that Mega Bloks has an awesome WoW line? Either way, the playsets offered are kind of phenomenal.
I've always written off Mega Bloks as basically the generic LEGO. They looked cheap. The sets sometimes looked hokey and cheesy. They just couldn't compete with LEGO.

Not anymore. I'm honestly starting to believe that Mega Bloks' poor initial reception by the public has allowed them to experiment with design and has given them more creative freedom. Also, keep in mind that this is all subjective opinion only. I realize LEGO has been around since 1949. And Mega Bloks (or whatever it was called) came around in the 60s. My opinions of Mega Bloks didn't come until thirty years later. Getting off topic.

I'm starting to love Mega Bloks. The partnerships with other brands have given them the ability to create some of the most detailed building blocks sets that I've personally seen. Take, for instance, the World of Warcraft Faction Packs.


In this post, I will be showing pictures of Valoren, the Blood Elf Priest. The set is pretty simple. It includes the Micro Figure, all pimped out with armor and a sweet staff (and the website I'll link you to later will show how amazing WoW is because they've named all the toy weapons/armor sets after real in-game sets!), and a little terrain build based off the Figure's in-game starting area.


The insert is very similar to the LEGO minifig pack in that it's pretty much there to show how to put everything together. I didn't include pictures of the building process for the terrain, because that would be more boring than what I'm showing already, and it'd add, like, seven more pictures.
As you can see from the third picture of the insert, the armor is interchangeable between different figures--which is pretty cool, because that means super-nerds can customize their Micro Figures to be whatever class and race combination they want!
Before                                           After

Let's look at the awesome awesome Micro Figure Valoren. One, I love Blood Elves, so I'll always think anything having to do with them is cool. And two, there just is no denying the beauty and detail put into this thing. Fully decked out, Valoren looks every bit the priest he is. He as the Silvermoon colors, and even a robe-like appearance (despite having two separate legs).


That second picture! What is over-the-top amazing about that second picture is that Mega Bloks designed a way for the character to carry the weapon on his back!


There is a hole in the back of the figure. A little gripping peg can be inserted into that hole. And the weapon can be held by that peg! I know you are all judging me relentlessly for being so excited about this, but the little things get to me. I love it.


A simple set, beautifully designed, and just a whole lot of fun to tinker with. I have the Night Elf and Orc sets as well. Hopefully I can grab the Human when I hit the store next, and a few more races when I get a chance.


For more information about WoW/Mega Bloks partnership, and to look at a pretty interactive site for simple toys, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment